Monday, October 5, 2009

Dear Fellow Art Enthusiasts,

Thank you for being patient with me as I have struggled with some headaches of late and have woefully neglected our little fun. However, today I am back.

After all this time, I hope it won't bore you to finish this piece by Saurat which, by the way, I found fascinating in real life. About 8 ft. tall and 10 ft. wide, like a whole wall of eye candy, this pointillism piece presents unmixed colors that deceive the eye when up close where the figures are ellusive. Standing back, though, the figures emerge. (This one could keep a color freak spellbound for an hour or two because of its size!) Unfortunately we don't quite see the trick of it in a book or on the screen. It still offers quite a bit of perspective in the people and shadows.
This photo, unfortunately, doesn't show the last 3 trees behind the head of the woman in black on the right. So sad because I see the trees as important. To me, this is a forest of people. Non-interactive, stiff, in their own respective worlds. I suppose the pointillism speaks a dreamy thing to me. No one really in touch with anyone else... sort of sleepy. For me, some paintings seem to say a lot, others seems to just 'look' a lot. This one looks, mostly.

Saurat's first finish of this was in March 1885, later he re-worked the picture. In my photo, which is 10 x 16 in., I see what could be the remains of an original ruffle at the front of the dress of said lady in black. The monkey seems a bit transparent, as does the man with cigar (behind said lady). I can't help but wonder why Saurat put them in. Maybe the lady once stood alone. One thing seems clear, the work is brilliant with color.

Next stop...
Something new.

No comments: