Wednesday, September 30, 2009


Hello again my friends!

It's been a few days since I last posted. While Dave and I were away, I bought a book on European art. After walking through the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, I had a long think.
These earlier works really require interpretation. Symbolism is embedded in posture, clothing, and placements of personal articles in domestic scenes. Then there are the battle scenes. Absolutely daunting!

So I have decided to stay within a genre and time that today's sensibilities can relate to. This is mostly seventeenth century and forward. I wonder if grouping the paintings by artist would be useful, or by style, or by school. That will come, I suppose.

For now, let's look at Seurat!
Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
Oil on canvas

What do you notice here? About light and shadow? What do the figures remind you of?
Tell me what you see. What sense do you get from this socially? Do you find any significance in the animals?

I will wait for you this time.





4 comments:

Brenda said...

The people and even the animals seem very stiff and formal. No interaction between them and little joy. I know I'm not good at this type of analyzing, I do better with data.:)

Anne of The House said...

Brenda-

I love your observation!

Doesn't it beg the question... what was Seurat's point?
Why paint so many people with so little interaction- in a very public place?

Thanks for commenting.
Hope you guys are well!
How is Suzie?

Keri said...

Hi Mia-
I'll take a stab at it. The little girl in white in the center represents childlike innocence to me. Those closest to us are in the shadow and I imagine as the onlooker, I stand in the shadow with them. In life, I see the shadowy darkness in those who are closest to me and when I am brave enough in myself too. The man reclining in the shadow with the bare arms really stands out. I imagine he is a beggar and I think the monkey is his. He knows who he is and isn't trying to hide his identity under neatly pressed, buttoned up clothes like the others. There is no pretense about him. I agree with Brenda. Everyone else seems very stiff and formal... like they are hiding from themselves.

The only other thing that really stood out to me was the disproportionate backside of the woman standing closest to us. Maybe that was the fashion...kind of funny if you ask me.

Ok...this was fun. Thanks Mia!

Anne of The House said...

Heya Keri!
What a nice surprise to read your name!

I could listen to other people give their thoughts on art- literally ALL DAY!

What you had to say about the little girl in white representing childlike innocence ... compelling. And your thoughts about the significance of the clothing... " t's what I'm talking 'bout!" The more I hear from other people the more I have to go back and look again. Your whole spin on identity....

Thanks so much!!!
Very interesting!