Thursday, September 17, 2009



Pierre-Auguste Renoire, At The Inn of Mere Anthony, 1866
oil on canvas

So, feast your eyes!
What strikes you?
Blacks. Whites.
Notice the only color is in the faces and hands. The faces of the men are showing familiarity, connection. I can imagine being one foot from the dog...I can almost hear the dishes and voices. French spoken. Laughter in the background. The guy with the hat has a paper. He's obviously talking about something compelling. Maybe he's a traveller who knows a lot. Maybe he's a fake. The standing guy has a furrowed brow. He could be suspicious. He could just be thinking. He could have eaten too much brie. And the woman... figuring on balancing the dishes. She's got the 5 plates and the knife and the one cup that looks like it'll fall any minute. It's just like life anywhere, I suppose. It's the good part of being a society. It's the give and take. The familiarity. Tribal safety and all of that.
This was 1866. I wonder how it smelled in there. Maybe pipe tobacco, bread, body odor, cooked fish and wine.
The dog is adorable. Mmm. I'd love to order some bread and coffee!


The picture I'm looking at is in a book of about 11x14. The real painting is approx. 76 inches by 51 inches. I can hardly stop looking! 76 inches of this would be striking. Worth a lunchbreak worth of gazing! Sometimes paintings are so condensed in small books, then in real life you can actually see the spaces between the brushstrokes. There are sometimes little white holes and slashes.( I just brushed all the holes and slashes off my picture. They were evidently dust.) Impressionistic work is interesting to look at from the outfield as well as from 10 inches away. If you're not one to visit art museums, it's something to see. You should go just once. I used to tell my 'students' that paintings were bumpy. Not the fake gel variety you might find at Hobby Lobby.. but bumpy with real paint. Original paint! My favorite is when you can see cracks from age. I love to think of what it took for the artist or apprentice to make the paints themselves. And what a thrill that I'm looking at those actual concoctions!
(Not such a thrill that the yellow ochre is made with urine) The color is... subtle, brilliant, and warm. I would love to take a long drink of the original!

I find this work delicious with real life warmth and a touch of adventure (cuz we really don't know about this guy with the hat).

What do you think?

5 comments:

Shiloh Guy said...

You asked me what strikes me, so...

I was struck by the fact that the dog is the only character in the painting looking straight at the painter. Was he the only one who noticed the painter over in the corner?

I was struck by the paintings on the wall behind the characters. One kind of looks like a soldier from a very long time ago. The others seem to be local scenery.

The guy with the hat is the traveler. He has his hat on and the others don't. They're locals. They're listening to the traveler tell about what is happening in the city and they aren't sure whether to believe that such things really go on. The woman is trying not to listen as she picks up their dishes.

I think it's cool outside. The clothes on the men seem to say late fall to me.

How did I do?

Anne of The House said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne of The House said...

I love your comments! Especially about the dog.
It didn't occur to me that the painter was in the corner, painting! Of course! The dog was looking straight at him! That explains his expression!

Thanks Shiloh Guy!

auntie ski said...

The dog jumped out to me at first, maybe because I have a thing for little white dogs, but he seems 'real'...like a photograph....(maybe not in a bigger version but this little snapshot does) while the rest looks like a painting... then I find I have to figure out what the 'shadow' figures are in the background, then I finally get to the people... now why do I go all around the main subject before getting to the most beautiful part? I just don't see all that you do - until you point it out! they are amazing! Their expressions are so individual... I love this picture! Thanks for opening my eyes to the real details my friend!

Anne of The House said...

Heya Auntie Ski!
How fun to hear your thoughts!!!

I have the book next to me. Renior himself tells us about his painting:

"The white dog, which had a wooden leg, was called Toto...As I show in my painting, the room was covered with pictures that were painted directly onto the walls. They were unpretentious but often very good, the work of regulars at the inn." (Pierre-Auguste Renior, 1918)

Thanks Bonnie!
I love you!

PS. Since you know little white dogs so well, how do you think Toto is feeling?