Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Ever wish you could step into a painting and walk around in it?

Feast your eyes on The Geographer! (1665 Vermeer) The colors have me rapt! The scientist suspended uncomfortably in a moment of realization, mouth open, gazing out the window...absorbing what he sees only in his mind. The globe, the map, the room is bathed in a wash of streaming light from the window. Every item in the room is adorned in it's place according to it's relation to the sun. As he, the studier, studies the earth. His face- half darkened. Who he is personally, is not important. His work is important. The table-rug askew, its beauty bundled, cast aside. And this moment is suspended for us, to take our long looks into.

What joy to see it! What delicious beauty! I told David that he'll know I've gone off the deep end if one day he finds me sitting alone, eating an art book- page by glorious page!

2 comments:

Shiloh Guy said...

Would you please begin a series of blogs describing paintings of great artists? You have a real way of bringing these things to life! I would so enjoy getting up every morning and beginning my day with fine art! And you write so beautifully! Thanks!

Anne of The House said...

hmmm.

(German accent)
You make me sink, Schmitterlink, of so many sings I vould be able to do! Zen I vouldn't have to eat ze books at all!!

Danke!